Frequently Asked Questions - FAQs

Provided below are answers to questions asked by the public regarding the constitutional and statutory duties, responsibilities, and services of the Clerk of Circuit Court.

FAQs Menu

Child Support

Financial Services



Public Records



Injunctions for Protection


Child Support

Q: I received a delinquency notice saying I am behind on my child support payments. I know I am up-to-date. Why has this happened and what do I do now?

A: In order for a Notice of Delinquency to be issued, the depository records of the Clerk of the Court must reflect that a payment is more than 15 days late. If you feel the Notice of Delinquency was issued in error, there are several things you can do.

You are stating that you know you are up-to-date, so the first thing you should do is call the depository, state that you received a Notice of Delinquency and you do not agree with the records. The depository clerk will access your case and review the records with you over the phone, if possible. Some cases are too involved for a phone review and you may be asked to bring your records or pay stubs, if your support is taken directly out of your paycheck, into the office for a more in depth review. There are a number of reasons why the depository records may not coincide with yours. These are just a few of the reasons:

  1. You have made payments directly to the custodial parent after the court ordered payments through the depository. Direct payments can be considered a gift and you may not be given the credit.
  2. You did not realize that you were responsible for making the payments until your employer started the deductions. Your employer has two weeks from the time they receive the court order until they have to start the deductions. That also applies when you change jobs. You must make the payments until your new employer starts deducting it from your check.
  3. There may be a change in circumstances that the depository is not aware of, such as a change in custody or the emancipation of a child. Always make the depository aware of any new court orders that affect your support payments.
  4. A payment has been remitted to the State Disbursement Unit but it is not posted on the depository records. Under these conditions the depository will request that the State Disbursement Unit research the payment. The Notice of Delinquency will be put on hold until the research has been completed. If speaking with the depository has not resolved the issue, you can contest the Notice of Delinquency and have a hearing before the judge assigned to your case. Some Clerk's offices offer a pleading packet for a small fee for your convenience.
    Please keep in mind that your motion to contest must be filed within 20 days of the date of the Notice of Delinquency. If it is not filed and your case still reflects a delinquent balance, a Judgment by Operation of Law will be entered into the public records.


Financial Services

Q: I am often asked what my duties are as County Auditor in relation to the Board of County Commissioners and my constituency.

A: The basic duties of the Clerk, as County Auditor, are to see that sound accounting practices are being followed, that internal controls over the county's assets are adequate, and that the Board's budgetary policies are being met. All warrants (checks) drawn on county depositories must be signed by the Chairman of the Board of County Commissioners, attested by the Clerk, and affixed with the county seal.



Q: My husband received a summons for jury duty. He is an independent building contractor, and if he isn't around, the work doesn't always get done properly or in a timely manner. What are acceptable reasons for dismissal from serving on the jury?

A: The criteria for exclusion from jury include:

  1. Being under prosecution for any crime.
  2. Having convictions in Florida, federal court, or any other state, territory, or county, of bribery, forgery, perjury, larceny or any other
  3. Holding public office as Governor, Lieutenant Governor, a Cabinet officer, Clerk of Court, or judge.

If none of these apply to your husband, there are other conditions which allow exemption from jury service if requested:

  1. Expectant mothers or parents who are not employed full-time and have custody of a child under the age of 6.
  2. Persons employed as full-time federal, state, or local law enforcement officers, or investigative personnel for these entities.
  3. Practicing attorneys or physicians, or persons who are physically infirm.
  4. Persons who have served as jurors in the county within the past 12 months.
  5. Persons who are 70 years of age or older.
  6. Persons who are responsible for the care of those who, because of mental illness or retardation, senility, or physical or mental incapacity, are incapable of caring for themselves.

None of these conditions applying, the judge does have discretion to excuse persons for reason of hardship or inconvenience. However, such excusals are carefully reviewed, and are not granted automatically.



Q: Is there a waiting period in the State of Florida for getting married after a couple applies for a Marriage License? Are blood tests required, and do you have to apply in the County you live in? Can a minor apply for a license?

A: Yes and no. There is normally a 3-day waiting period as of January 1, 1999. However, if both parties have taken a 4-hour premarital preparation course given by a minister or counselor registered with the Clerk of the Circuit Court, the waiting period is waived and the license fee is reduced.

  • If only one applicant took the course, the waiting period is still required.
  • If neither applicant is a Florida resident, the waiting period is not required.
  • If one applicant is not a Florida resident, and the other is a Florida resident and has taken the premarital course, the waiting period is still required.
  • Blood tests have not been required since this test was abolished October 1, 1986.
  • A marriage license may be applied for and solemnized in any Florida county.
  • Minors, who under oath, swear that they are parents or expectant parents of a child may apply. In addition, the pregnancy must be verified by a written statement from a licensed physician.
  • A previously married minor may also apply.
  • A person age 16 or 17 may apply with the consent of both parents or guardian, unless the parents are divorced and only one parent has full custody.


Q: My husband and I have mutually agreed on a divorce. We have heard the State of Florida has something called a "Simplified Divorce." What is it and would we be eligible?

A: Simplified Divorce is a fast, easy and inexpensive procedure for ending a marriage for eligible couples. To be eligible:

  • Both must agree that the marriage cannot be saved.
  • Both must agree on how to divide property and debts.
  • There must be no minor children of the marriage, and the wife cannot be pregnant.
  • At least one of you must have been a resident of Florida for the past six months.

Both parties must come to the Clerk of Circuit Court's office with picture ID's, and fill out a Petition for Simplified Dissolution of Marriage. Forms are available in the Clerk's office. An attorney is not required, but if either of you has any legal questions, consulting an attorney prior to filing is advised. A hearing to finalize the divorce will be scheduled as soon as possible after a 20 day waiting period. Both parties must appear at the hearing. The final judgment is then taken by both parties to the Circuit Civil Division of the Clerk's office.


Public Records

Q: I am interested in bidding on a piece of foreclosed property that is being auctioned by the Clerk's office. What do I need to do? Also, how can I get a list of properties being auctioned?

A: You should come to the Clerk's office on the day of the sale and register with the Clerk. Chapter 45, Florida Statutes, requires that a bidder other than the judgment holder must present a good faith deposit of 5% of your projected bid in cash or cashier's check in order to confirm a bid. You may contact the Civil Division of the Clerk's office for information regarding scheduled foreclosure sales.

Q: Ten years ago I received a judgment against someone who owed me money, and a lien for that amount was placed on their house. They recently sold their house, but my lien was not on record. What gives?

A: When your judgment lien was recorded in the Official Records of your county, it remained on the record for a period of 7 years. At the end of those 7 years, a certified copy of your judgment needed to be re-recorded, along with an affidavit containing your current address. Each time you recorded your judgment it was for a period of 7 years, and could have been re-recorded every 7 years up to 20 years. The re-recording would have to be done within the 90-day period immediately preceding the expiration of the lien. If your lien was still current and a title search was done on the property prior to the sale, the title company would locate the lien information, verify that the lien was valid and notify the seller. The sale could not have taken place until your lien was satisfied. Because your lien was not re-recorded, your lien was not considered to be valid. As a result, you were not notified and sent the money due you. Beginning July 1, 2001, the effective time period was extended from 7 to 10 years before a judgment must be re-recorded. The total effective period will still be no longer than 20 years. Any judgment recorded prior to July 1, 1987 will not be affected by this change.

Q: I have some legal issues and cannot afford an attorney. I have heard that there are some forms that I can use to file a court proceeding that I fill out myself. How do I get these forms and how can I make sure I fill them out properly?

A: There are over 80 different self-help, or pro se, legal forms available relating to the following categories:

  • Dissolution of Marriage
  • Miscellaneous Petition
  • Injunction for Protection
  • Service and Notice
  • Documents Requesting Information From Opposing Party
  • Child Support
  • Miscellaneous Motions and Documents
  • Stepparent Adoption
  • Landlord and Tenant
  • Miscellaneous
  • Residential Leases

Some of these forms are also available on the Internet at the Self Help Center. Additionally, on this website is a listing of the entities that provide legal aid for people who cannot afford an attorney. If you need help filling out the forms or finding a phone number for the nearest legal assistance office, call the Clerk's Office and ask where assistance is available.



Q: What are the requirements for obtaining a Passport Book/Passport Card?

A: Passports are good for a period of ten (10 ) years for persons age 16 and older. Five (5) years for persons 15 and under. All passports will be mailed from the passport agency to the address listed on the passport application. Allow 4 - 6 weeks for return. For an additional fee of $60.00 you may request expedited service.

First time passport applicants must submit the following:

  • One (1) passport photo taken within the last 6 months.
  • A certified copy of birth certificate from the state of birth with a raised, embossed or stamped seal affixed thereon or a previously issued passport. Original naturalization certificates are required for naturalized citizens. Photocopies are not accepted by the passport agency. If you do not have a proper birth certificate, forms for requesting birth records can be obtained from the Clerk's Office.
  • A valid Driver's License, Military I.D., a recently issued U.S. Naturalization Certificate, or a State issued I.D. card.
  • All person(s) apply must appear in person.
  • Minors must be accompanied by both parents or legal guardian(s).


Passport Book

Ages 16 & older: one (1) check/money order made payable to the U.S. Department of State in the amount of $110.00 along with a check/cash made payable to the Clerk of Court in the amount of $25.00 for each applicant.

Under the age of 16: one (1) check/money order made payable to the U.S. Department of State in the amount of $80.00 along with a check/cash made payable to the Clerk of Court in the amount of $25.00 for each applicant.

Passport Card

Ages 16 & older: one (1) check/money order made payable to the U.S. Department of State in the amount of $30.00 along with a check/cash made payable to the Clerk of Court in the amount of $25.00 for each applicant.

Under the age of 16: one (1) check/money order made payable to the U.S. Department of State in the amount of $15.00 along with a check/cash made payable to the Clerk of Court in the amount of $25.00 for each applicant.

Applications are available at the following web site:

You can use the U.S. Passport Renewal Application if you can answer yes to the following questions:

  • You can submit your most recent U.S. Passport Book and/or U.S. Passport Card with the application.
  • You were at least 16 years old when your most recent passport when your most recent U.S. Passport Book and/or Passport Card was issued.was
  • You were issued your most recent U.S. Passport Book and/or Passport Card less than 15 years.
  • You use the same name as on your most recentU.S. Passport Book and/oor U.S. Passport Card.


  • You have had your name changed by marriage or court order and can submit proper documentation to reflect the name change.



Q: My nephew from South Carolina recently got a speeding ticket in Moore Haven. He has lost the ticket and doesn't know how to take care of it.

A: It is always distressing to get a traffic ticket when traveling, but the Clerk of Court's office can help. When a ticket is issued, a copy is sent to the Clerk within several days. Please have your nephew call the Clerk of Court's office in Glades County. The Traffic Division can tell him the amount, the method of payment, and how quickly it must be paid to prevent him from incurring further penalties. It is important to pay out-of-state tickets, as they will show up on your driver license record.

Q: I ran a stop sign the other day and went to pay the ticket at the Clerk's office. I was curious about where traffic ticket money ends up.

A: The money from traffic infractions is used in a variety of ways. The majority of the dollars and cents stays in the city or county where the ticket is written. The rest of the fine money is distributed to the state for general revenue and a variety of state trust funds and programs, such as: Emergency Medical Services, Brain and Spinal Cord Rehabilitation, Florida Endowment, Child Welfare Training, Juvenile Justice, foster care citizen review panels, Nongame Wildlife studies and state criminal justice programs. The Clerk of Court only retains a half of one percent. The percentage of money received from traffic tickets to be applied to each of the various funds is established by the Legislature, and it is the statutory responsibility of the Clerk of Court to see that the monies are properly distributed.



Injunctions for Protection

The Domestic Relations Clerk will help victims obtain Injunctions for Protection. Injunctions are commonly referred to as "restraining orders". There are no fees to file an injunction. The Clerk will supply the forms and provide assistance, if needed.

Types of Injunctions

There are five types of Injunctions that differ based on the nature of the threat and the victims's relationship to the abuser. Please review the types of Injunctions below.

Domestic Violence Injunctions

You may file a Domestic Violence Injunction if there has been an incident of violence and the Respondent is your spouse, former spoiuse, related to you by blood or marriage, living with you or has lived with you in the past or is the other parent of your child(ren) whether you have been married or lived together.

Repeat Violence Injunctions

You may file a Repeat Violence Injunction if two or more incidents of violence have been committed against you or a member of your immediate family by another person. At least one of those acts of violence must have occurred within the last six months of filing a petition.

Sexual Violence Injunctions

You may file a Sexual Violence Injunction if there has been an incident of violence wherein a sexual act is committed or attempted. In order to receive an injunction, you must have reported the sexual violence to law enforcement and be cooperating in any resulting criminal proceeding.

Dating Violence Injunctions

You may file a Dating Violence Injunction if there has been an incident of vilence between individuals who have had a continuing relationship of a romantic and intimate nature. The relationship must have existed within the past six months.

Stalking Violence Injunctions

You may file a Stalking Violence Injunction if someone purposely follows or harasses you repeatedly over a period of time for no legitimate reason.




Online Services Logo and page link (External Link) is a service of Florida's Clerks of Court. The website provides several online services that are fast, convenient and secure. Click on the links below to access the services which are also available en español.


Click here to Search and Order Official Records OnlineSearch and Order Official Records

Official Records are documents required or authorized to be recorded in one general series called "Official Records". Search thousands of records across counties, all in one place. Frequently ordering records? Create an account for streamlined checkout. Records can also be purchased online.


Click here to Pay Traffic Citations OnlinePay Traffic Citations

Pay securely by credit card (Visa, Mastercard, AMEX or Discover) or debit card. Elect to attend or decline traffic school during the payment process.



Access MyFloridaCounty Traffic IVR - toll free (855) 984-1187 on any touch tone phone.



Click here to Pay Child Support Online Pay Child Support

Non-custodial parents and employers can pay online with a credit card or direct debit from a bank account. Inquiry on a case’s payment history is also available online.



MyFloridaRemit.comAvoid the hassle of sending checks each month and pay online. Use for all Child Support payments made using the electronic check (e-check) payment method.

Pay Traffic Tickets online and receive instant confirmation. Elect to take Traffic School at the same time. Child Support and Traffic services are also available en español.



Other Clerk of Court Services

Search Court RecordsSearch Court Records online

Perform a public county search of court records online.

eFiling Portal logoState of Florida ePortal Site

The Florida ePortal web site provides eFiling and eRecording capability to users with a single statewide login. Users may utilize the ePortal web interface to submit documents to Clerks and Recorders.

 My Florida Clerks logo and site link (External Link)

Find information about the Courts, public records, research how to file a small claims case or find an official record.

The Clerk's office performs nearly 1,000 different constitutional and statutory functions or duties, representing the broadest and most diverse mantle of responsibility of any locally elected official. Find out more about the many things we do and the many ways we can help you at